Love Out Of Lust Series

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Going Back To My Indie Roots


Over the Summer of 2015, I came to the conclusion that I'm better off being an independent erotic author. The publisher I was with is not bad, and I love the number of people I enjoy getting to know and working with, but I know where my heart lies and that is to be an independent author, working for me.

I am very blessed to have a street team that has done a number of work for me, and I want to continue working with them. They are very supportive of my decision to be an indie author, where I have no pressure and work at my own pace, plus I learn there are benefits on being an indie author, especially in the erotic romance sector. 

One of the things I enjoy about being an indie author is I can work at my own pace. I don't have to answer to anyone but me. I feel I don't have to be pressured into generating a sale for the publisher, when I know I can do it for myself. I like working at a pace that I can work in. I don't mind paying for an editor and even for a cover designer, but at least I don't have to answer to my publisher if my book(s) don't sell.

Another thing that is a benefit to being an indie is leverage. Let's say I want to have people do reviews for me, or host a giveaway of my book. With some books, I'm in a breach of contract in doing so, and that is because I have to abide by the publishers' interest. With my own published books, I can do whatever I want, even get creative in hosting giveaways. I'm not saying publishers don't grant you the leverage; I just like having control of my own work.

While being an indie author can be challenging, it has given me experience for the last two years, when one of the publishers I was with disbanded in 2013. I had the luxury of independence, knowing I could go out there and sell my own work. I know that if I work at the pace I want and find the right connections, I can enjoy the work I do. 

Lately, I have a number of projects I want to do on my own. One of them is a series called The Chronicles of Meriesa Lopez - Promiscuity & Success, which I'm planning to release in the Spring of 2016.

This story I have talked about it for a while. The story is about an emancipated woman who has a taste of promiscuity Meriesa Lopez, and a roommate from an affluent background who is beginning to find herself, Adela Giovanni, get into fun and mischief together when Adela decides to open a swingers club. Adela becomes successful, but Meriesa knows she is naive in over her head and she needs to focus on being away from attention. When Adela lands herself in some hot water, things get a little chaotic and Meriesa manages to bail her out, while she unintentionally lands herself in a world of scandal.

I feel really enthused about completing this project, and I can't wait to finish. Plus, going back to my indie roots has renewed me to strive for what I really want in my books and my covers, and everything involved with my work. I understand that not everyone can make it as an indie, but I've been on my own for a long time that I'm willing to take a chance - again. I thought by being with a publisher I would feel important, belonging to a family of authors who share the same interest, but I realized that I'm better off working alone.

I'm now going back to my roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment