Love Out Of Lust Series

Sunday, July 8, 2012

AfterDark's Interview with Kim Faulks

I am happy to introduce an indie-author with such intrigue. From Australia with love, I want to introduce Author Kim Faulks.

Thank you so much for having me Ray.


1. Kim, thank you for joining us. Please, why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself?
           
Okay. I am married to a wonderful man and a mother of two great kids. I spend most days at work as a Manager of a Security Control Room which is cool 'cause I get to hang out with my two best friends. I live in Queensland Australia where it is sunny pretty much all the time and my passion is writing really great stories.


2. How long have you been writing paranormal erotic romance, and what got you inspired into writing this genre?           

Paranormal Erotica was actually my first genre that I started my writing career with. I wrote my first short story as part of an Anthology call that Naughty Nights Press had at the time and it was accepted. My inspiration to write this wasn't so much about the erotic side, but about the story and the characters themselves. I'm pretty much happy to go wherever the characters need in the story, sexually, or otherwise.


3. Are there any other books that you have written? Also, what made you decide to get into self-publishing?

I have The Fire and Ice Series out at the moment, Reclaimed, Seductive Sands and Enslaved and I will be working on the last two installments very soon. I have a Dark Urban Fantasy novel, Hells Angel out which is getting some pretty good reviews so I am pretty happy with that.

Self-Publishing was really me testing myself. I wanted to make sure that I knew everything from the ground up, how much work is involved and every little thing that goes into not just putting a book out there, but the tireless efforts to get that book seen.  


4. How does your family and friends feel about the genre you write?

My family is good with it. They don't really have much to do with my writing, although they are really supportive. My friends love it. They read all of my work first and I am fortunate to have a really good sounding board with them. They help on structure, plot, characters and editing which helps me so much.


5. Please, tell us about your current book – Hells Angel

Hells Angel is a Dark Urban Fantasy novel which centers around my two main characters Kellah Slater and Darrion Hunter. Kellah is a Demon forced back to Earth by her Father, The Accuser. She to not only has to live on Earth, but amongst the pathetic breed she calls Humans.

Darrion is a detective who has lost pretty much everything good in his life, his wife and daughter, his sanity and all hope that he ever had for his own survival. He is only one small thought away from ending it all. That small thought is to see Kellah Slater in jail where she belongs. To Darrion she is nothing but a thief, who prays on the innocent with no conscience, there is nothing good about her, nothing right...so why can't he get her out of his mind?

If you like a dark, gritty and no-hold bared story that will rock your world then Hells Angel is for you!

6. What inspired you to write this story?

Kellah inspired me actually. I was having a shitty day at work, dealing with someone that I didn't especially like and as my frustration mounted I opened up a word document and started typing. Kellah was born out of frustration and anger and I liked her, a lot.

7. Are there any other projects that you are working at this time?

I am always working on something. I am in the process of finishing the first draft of the first book in a new series, this genre I've dubbed as Dark Devine Paranormal. I've been writing this one for some time now and the story itself has gone through a few transitions to become what it is. Destiny's Dawn is half of a human story and half a paranormal and when those worlds collide it will leave you speechless.

I am also about half way through a young adult paranormal novel and will hopefully have this finished within the next few months. The Gothic Goddess Chronicles will be an ongoing series that many older children and adults will enjoy.

I also have a sci-fi post-apocalyptic novel I am planning as well as finishing off the two novellas from The Fire and Ice Series.  


8. Where do you find your muses, and how do you get your ideas through? Do you write it on a piece of paper or simply type in the word processing program?

I am a very spiritual person, so my muse is the Dark Goddess herself or the desire to help others find their way to her. Dark Chocolate and Red Wine also make an appearance every now and them ;)

I usually just open up a word document and start typing. I don't normally plot out my stories, unless they are very complicated and even then I usually just have plot points to aim towards and I let my characters do the rest. 


9. What was the most challenging thing you ever faced, but you were proud to accomplish?

I would have to say finishing my first novel. I started writing novellas as I was hesitant to write a complete novel and once I realized that I could do it, I then set my sights on completing my first novel. Hells Angel will always hold a special place in my heart because of this.


10. What advice could you give to others, especially for those that are starting out?

Read lots and write lots. Get your hands on Stephen King, On Writing and consider it your bible. There are lots of ways to write, plotting out your story, or just writing it from an idea. But you need to put in the hours at the computer to find the rhythm and the flow. You aren't just putting words on the paper; you are sharing a desire to inspire.


11. Cocktail moment: If there was a drink of your kind what would it be (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?

Strawberry Daiquiri - I love the fruity light flavor of this drink. It is something I can drink all night.

12. Is there a trivial thing you wish to share to your readers?

I love to embarrass my kids. I'm the parent that has a stuffed animal fight in the toy section of K-Mart, or has a play fight with my kids in the middle of aisle five whilst in the middle of grocery shopping. My kids ask me all the time, "Why can't you be like other Mums, you know normal?" It cracks me up all the time. 


13. Where can people find your books, including your upcoming?

You can find me on Amazon mostly, although I will be putting my work on Smashwords in the next few days. Just search for Kim Faulks and you will see all of my titles.


14. Lastly, where can people follow you (social network, blogs, websites, and etc.)?

I would love to connect with you and you can find me here:


Kim, thank you so much for being here. I truly wish you the very best success on your book, and I hope to see you in here again.

Thank you so much Ray. It has been my pleasure and I looks forward to checking back on your fantastic site, keep up the great work.

Kim, xx

In the meantime, check out her wonderful excerpt to Hells Angel. Available on Amazon, and help support indie-authors.

EXCERPT:

The seedy city streets of Red Valley were no place for a lady at two in the morning. So, it was lucky for Kellah that she was no lady.

She was a demon, a real one. Cast out from the fiery pits of Hell that she called home, sweet home, and into the land of mortgages, low-employment, a declining stock market, and wretched creatures. Here there were more low lives out at two in the morning than you'd see hanging outside The Suicide Blonde's Nightclub back home on a Friday night. Yes, if you are wondering, it was filled with Suicide Blonde's.
Kellah walked along the rain soaked streets towards the dump where she lived, feeling more pissed off than she usually felt. She kept to the shadows, slamming the thick heel of her boots into the sidewalk as she swerved in and out of the pathetic breed called humans.

Many still roamed the streets this time of the night, the deep-seated desire evident in their eyes caused her to snarl at the sight of them. Desperation stared back at her from the street corner whores who rubbed their arms, desperate to feel the sting of a needle, and from the men who drove in a crawl along the street, needing their own fix of flesh. She was not a part of this world, only a visitor, one who would serve her time and return home.

This place ... Earth, was her jail and she was serving hard time. But it wasn't a death sentence, no. All she had to do was bide her time and wait for her Father to bring her home again. Until he called, she would tread the same streets, the same path, and look at the same disgusting mortal vermin. She survived by remembering that she was not one of them, she was different.  

Revulsion was her only company as she walked past a rowdy bar, attempting to push past a group of men as they laughed and stumbled, spilling out onto the pavement before her. One of the men lurched sideways, holding onto his glass and righted himself without spilling so much as a drop, his focus turning to her as she side-stepped this act.

"Hey! Howzabout a kiss?" he stammered, reaching out to grab her as he stepped in front of her. "It's my birfday."

His friends howled with raucous laughter. Cheering him on with an elbow in his stomach and following his suit by stepping in front of her, they stopped any effort she had at getting past without an incident.
She slowed then paused at the wall of male human flesh, their penetrating gaze staring at her with a mixture of drunkenness and stupidity. Underneath that pretense of laughter and fun was a river of need. She knew this longing. It ran through each and every mortal she had ever known.

Their sickly desire leaked from their pores and oozed like a vein of life blood. It didn't matter what they wanted. Each one was different, but in the end all the same, seeking money, fame or power. To be something different than they weren't at this very moment, to have fast cars and fancy clothes and get by in life a little better than the next person. 

She wasn't like this, she was different. She neither desired nor wanted anything this human world could give her. She only wanted to go home.

Decades in her home were torture for a spirit, but it was a torture that grew on you until it is all you ever needed or wanted. Pain was a way of life and became your way of life, the fuel to sustain your very existence. Her family was all she needed, her Father and the endless supply of brothers and sisters, ready to share their afterlife called Hell.

"Hey you! Well, whatcha gonna do?" One of them said as he reached down and rubbed along his groin, a wet patch spreading out in the middle where he rubbed. Either he just pissed himself or ... oh shit, she didn't want to even fucking think about that. He stared at her with a bewildered gaze, trying best to look seductive with piss all over the front of his clothes.

Humans. They were all the fucking same. These ones seemed to feed off each other, pushing and laughing, their coos of "Fuck yeah, go Donny," and "She's fucking gorgeous," melting into one long fucking chorus.
She kept her eyes down, hoping their enthusiasm would quickly wear off or turn elsewhere, and they’d just let her past. That is until one of them reached out and placed his hand over her breast, squeezing her nipple so that it pained and throbbed. It looked like she was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment