Love Out Of Lust Series

Monday, March 5, 2012

A Man's World Interview with Pablo Michaels

            Straight out of the Bay Area, is a man that has written a good number of m/m romances, and one of the most realistic individuals I ever met. Pablo Michaels joins The AfterDark World for “A Man’s World Interview Month”.

1.      Pablo, it is an honor to have you here on The AfterDark World. Please why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Thanks for interviewing me, Ray. I’m married to a wonderful man and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I’ve been an extreme loner almost all my life, except with my husband and partner of sixteen years. I survive on Social Security Disability and part-time gardening, which is my second love. Through my life writing has saved me from self-destruction which goes into depression and episodes of psychosis. There have been times I stopped writing and suffer from what others do not comprehend. I have a passion for life and people which I try to express through fiction.

2.      How long have you been writing and when did you decide writing this genre was for you?
Writing has been my determination since the third grade. I wrote periodically throughout growing up, in college, and when I lived in San Francisco. I had a rough time coming out in my generation, until I turned twenty-one. It wasn’t until 1990 that I decided to write in the LGBT genre. I started a novel which is till uncompleted. With this genre I wanted to share with others the positive, romantic element of gay life and the struggles to be happy and content with a different lifestyle.

3.      In an industry which is predominantly women, do you feel any pressure on the stories you write? On top, as a man how do you go about explaining what you write?
That’s a difficult question, but I do feel the pressure to write gay stories like female writers. As a gay man, I feel I have an edge, but with so many successful published authors of female identity writing in this genre, I wonder if I can communicate differently than them and still draw readers. When I first published with lesser erotica, male straight men enjoyed my stories. So I felt I was successful with my expressions.
4.      How does your family and friends feel about your work?
My family has always encouraged my writing process, until I started writing erotica. As a loner I have few friends I see regularly. Most of the ones I do see have little interest in my fiction. Most don’t have or feel they need a computer. My husband has always supported my efforts until my erotica became too explicit.
5.      Is there a particular genre you haven’t touched, but would be interested in doing?
I’ve written and published mainstream stories. An area the interests me would be to write a transgender oriented story. I have a friend who I want to interview for that topic, hoping she will agree to blunt questions.
6.      Tell us about your current book, “Catnip, Rosemary, Rage and Time”.
I self-published this novel with Xlibris, not the process I want to repeat. The story is about two gay men who celebrate their ten years of companionship on a cruise to Alaska and Canada. They become the interest of their cabin steward, waiter in the dining room, a bartender and a wealthy couple who entangle the two men in diamond smuggling. There’s lots of sex and mystery in the most unusual places.
7.      What inspired you to write your book, “Catnip, Rosemary, Rage and Time”?
The inspiration came from a real life experience, when my husband and I took a cruise to Alaska. I incorporated the landscape detail with one of the characters writing a travelogue for the cruise line. Unfortunately we did not experience 95% of the events that occurs in the novel.
8.      Do you have any upcoming projects that you wish to share?
I’m writing a story with the working title, Passionate Silver Paradise, about two older gay men in search of paradise amidst economic and medical problems as my generation ages. As in American culture, the gay lifestyle concentrates on the stereotypic qualities of beauty and youth. I think it’s important to write a story how life can be successful and happy with one’s age not being a problem.
9.      What was one of the toughest projects you ever have face, but was proud of the accomplishment?
My novel, “Catnip, Rosemary, Rage and Time”, was the most time consuming and frustrating piece I ever wrote. It took me six years to publish it. I probably should have waited longer, after so much advice from coach writers, editors, and other people. It isn’t the best piece I’ve written, but proud I am.
10.  What advice would you give to other writers, especially to those starting out?
Don’t listen too much to what others tell you about your content. The most important feature of writing is to be true to what’s inside you, no matter what anyone demands. I’ve learned this the hard way.
11.  Lastly, where can people follow you (i.e. social networks, blogs, websites, etc.??
Pablo Michaels is on facebook, Google plus, Fetlife, LinkedIn, Twitter, and my website: http://www.pablomichaels.com/ Look for my homepage to read or follow.
Time for some trivial questions…
12.  Cocktail moment: If there was a drink of your kind, what would it be (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
In the morning it would be a protein shake and followed in the afternoon by a brandy neat and later a nice glass of Cabernet or Merlot.
13.  Your Day Off: If you could take a day off from your normal activity, how would you spend it?
I would love to drive to our gay, nude beach a forty-five minute drive away, with driftwood condos to gawk at some enticing men.
14.  Favorite Man Food: It’s your day off and you wake up at 10AM, describe your kind of brunch?
Chicken fried steak with lots of gravy, eggs medium, hash browns, accompanied by a Ramos fizz.
15.  Is there anything trivial you wish to share to your readers about yourself?
I’m very down to earth, loyal and don’t like social games. When we travel we find the earthiest pubs and restaurants, because we like simple people. Many of these experiences find their way into my writing. Common everyday people are my main interest in life. They know how to cope with difficulties and still know how to have a good time.
Mr. Michaels, I had an awesome time interviewing you and I hope to see you on here again. Thank you so much!
Thank you, Ray; I’m getting a trite bit buzzed with brandy, so I’ll say good-bye for now.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this interview very much, Ray and Pablo.

    I do wish we could get Pablo to expound on one point: "I do feel the pressure to write gay stories like female writers." This topic fascinates me. Pablo, what do you feel is the fundamental difference in M/M stories written by women, as opposed to ones written by men?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to learn more about you Pablo! All the best with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. Eden, I'm not saying female writers aren't better, but from a gay man's perspective of living the life in his subculture there are so many assumed of gay men, good or bad. My life has been completely overloaded with feelings about gay men and how they interact that is not usually expressed in fiction. I'm trying my best to write these situations and lives of people, but sometimes they become confused with my own biases.The romance between gay men is subtle in most respects, unlike heterosexual partners. From my age insights I've learned that most men fall in love fundamentally, but how they react to it is totally different from a gay perspective. I hope this answers your question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhat, but your answer generates more questions. Perhaps I'll have to drag you away from Ray and tie you up at my place one day to ask them, though. I admit the gender differences you hint at intrigue me, and I'd love to talk further very soon. :)

      Delete
  4. Love getting to know more about you, Pablo. Great interview. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete