Love Out Of Lust Series

Monday, March 19, 2012

A Man's World Interview with K.T. Bishop

2011 has been an interesting year for an author with deep down southern roots and athletic romance. From Second Chance to Cajun Games, KT Bishop joins The AfterDark World for “A Man’s World Interview”.

1. Mr. Bishop, thank you for taking the time out for this interview. Please, why don’t tell us a little bit about yourself?
                   
 K.T.:I was born in Tuscaloosa, Alabama nearly 43 years ago. I attended Stillman College and the University of Alabama, both in my hometown. I graduated with a journalism degree 20 years ago.

2. How long have you been writing and when did you decide writing this genre was for you?
                      
 K.T.:I started writing books five years ago. I saw all of these books in Barnes and Noble, why not take a chance. I love reading romance novels and figured there weren't enough with sports in them!

3. In an industry dominated by women, how you handle the pressure? On top, how do you explain to others about what you write?
                    
K.T.: I don't see it as pressure. I'm just not used to being the only guy at a romance writing seminar. I've been welcomed by female authors. I've told people what I write and it's up to them whether they buy it or not!

4. How does you family and friends feel about your work?
                
 K.T.:My brother is probably the only one  who keeps up, and I'm down with that. He has all of my ebooks. For people who haven't seen me in a while, he's told everyone what I've done.

5. Is there a particular genre you haven’t touched, but would be interested in doing?
                
K.T.:I'd love to write a Sports history book on football, particularly the Alabama Crimson Tide or the old United States Football League. But I don't have the patience to write 300 pages, which would take years and I'd be bored.

6. Tell us about your latest book Cotton Patch?
      
 K.T: Cotton Patch, which comes out on March 22 at Red Rose Publishing, chronicles the journey of ML Cotton's dream of becoming a black starting quarterback in the NFL. It's the sequel to Picking Cotton, released in 2009. Set in the 1980's, ML also has to handle playing college football trying to graduate as well as address his pregnant girlfriend, Jennifer Monet. Guess you can say ML has a full plate (laughs).

7. What inspired you to write Cotton Patch?

 K.T.: It was one of those stories that I felt needed to be done. Interracial relationships in the 80's were not accepted like it is today. ML and Jennifer overcame those odds during high school in Picking Cotton. ML's mother, Annie Cotton, still had doubts about Jennifer.

8. Do you have any upcoming projects that you wish to share?
            
K.T.:I two books coming out at Rebel Ink Press: Songs from the Heart (April 17) and Classified Love (May 17)

9. What was one of the toughest projects you have ever faced, but was proud of the accomplishment?

 K.T.:Starting to write my first book and finishing it. Then, rewrite it twice after getting rejected.

10. What advice would you give to other writers, especially to those that are starting out?
                 
 K.T.:Even in the eyes of rejection, don't give up. If rejected, ask what's wrong with your story, make changes and submit to another publisher. Also, if you want to write , work hard at it everyday and don't quit your day job. Only a few of us make it big.

11. Lastly, where can people follow you (i.e. social networks, blogs, websites, etc.)?
    
 K.T.:Www.kenibird.blogspot.com; www.ktbishop.webs.com; www.twitter.com_tyroc10

Time for some trivial questions...

12. Cocktail Moment: If there was a drink of your kind, what would it be (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?

K.T.:  It's a soft drink. Mr. Pibb or Pibb Extra as they call it these days!

13. Your Day Off: If you could take a day off from your normal activity, how would you spend it?
       
K.T.:  With a woman in my bed, we'd have sex all day!

14. Favorite Man Food: It’s your day off and you wake up at 10AM, describe your kind of brunch?
 
K.T.:   Eat a creme-filled donut and at 11 am, eat a 16-ounce sirloin steak, with a Caesar Salad and baked potato drowning in sour cream.

15. Something Extra: Is there anything trivial you wish to share to your readers about yourself?
                        
K.T.:I'm a football addict. I love watching college and NFL. Wish it were football season year around. I'm also a hopeless romantic.

Mr. Bishop, I truly thank you for the interview and I hope to see you on here again. Thank you so much!
                
 K.T.:    Thanks, I enjoyed it!

           Here's a link to Cotton Patch: Cotton Patch by K.T. Bishop

Excerpt:
The Sunshine Bowl was a low-scoring affair until South Florida kicked a 54 yard field goal to grab a 3-0 lead in the third quarter.
Jennifer banged on the glass, screaming for ML “to get himself going.” From watching the defense ML looked up and read her lips.  She lit a fire under his ass.
With ten minutes remaining, Tampa U. had the ball at its own thirty-eight yard line. ML dropped back to pass, rolled away and was tripped by a South Florida defender. He amazingly landed o
n his feet and launched a long pass down-field over the heads of several Bull defenders. Mark Sant never stopped running and followed the whistle-sounding ball all the way to the end zone for a 62-yard touchdown pass.
“That’s my baby,” Jennifer screamed over her husband’s heroics and shaking a few spectators in the suite. The Spartans went on to win their season opener 7-3 before a jubilant, sellout Tampa Stadium crowd of 80,000.
Her voice vanished during a post-game celebratory dinner at the Ponderosa. Annie noticed a different Jennifer. “You look different.”
She covered herself with a force field and told a bold-faced lie in a straight face. “I’ve gained a lot of weight by eating too much junk. I’m real embarrassed.”
A love-struck ML kissed her lips. “If she weighed five hundred pounds, I’d still be in love with her.”
“That’s the sweetest thing you said to me all day,” a gushing Jennifer said, returning the smooch.
Things returned to normal after Annie and Herman hit Interstate 10 back for Spanish Fort at the crack of dawn on Sunday morning. Jennifer and ML, both exhausted from a strenuous opener, nestled in their bed the remainder of the Labor Day weekend. “We had a close scare with your folks,” she said. 
ML shrugged his shoulders and draped his body around her for consoling. “The last thing we need is to upset you and lose the baby. It will work out.”

9 comments:

  1. Great interview - enjoyed learning more about one of my favorite fellow authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lee Ann. I love your work as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW James- I never knew you were rejected but that happens in this industry- congrats on your upcoming releases

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat cover, interesting plot, and a very fun interview. Awesome! I would love to interview you again, as well.
    Nancy Lee Badger
    Award Winning Author

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Nancy! I'm excited about the release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I learned even more about you, K. T. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete