Love Out Of Lust Series

Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Man's World Interview with Brindle Chase

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone! To celebrate this weekend, I want to introduce one of the male sex symbols of erotic romance. Brindle Chase joins us for “A Man’s World Interview” on The AfterDark World.

1. Brindle, thank you for taking the time out for this interview. Please, why don’t tell us a little bit about yourself?

Thank you for having me. Well, I hate this question. Hehehe. I never know how to answer it. Basically, I’m Brindle Chase, the alter-ego of a father, husband and provider. I live in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains nearly 10 months out of the year and that suits me most of the time. Brindle is my wicked side, my imagination, fantasizer and the persona that allows me to live vicariously through my writing. That other guy, works 60+ hours a week, and is about as dull as they come. I only wish Brindle could get out more. =oP

2. How long have you been writing and when did you decide writing this genre was for you?

I’ve been writing about 5 years now. I never in my whole life ever even imagined writing romance. I had never even read a romance novel until a few years ago, as I sat down to write, my muse handed me a plot and she demanded I write it. That was Gothic City Lights: Lilith. A paranormal erotic romance. Since I knew nothing about the genre, I had a lot to learn. It took me over a year to write that one, mostly due to my learning curve, but as I went along, I fell in love with the genre. Who knew?

3. In an industry dominated by women, how you handle the pressure? On top, how do you explain to others about what you write?

For the most part, I ignore the criticism with regards to my gender. I get criticized for being male and writing romance. I get criticized for being male, not being homosexual, and writing romance. I understand its fairly new territory for male authors and of course, we are to be met with cynicism, but I believe I’ve changed a few minds about the adage “men can’t write romance.”

4. How does you family and friends feel about your work?

I think most found it amusing at first, but they were all supportive. After my 2nd, 3rd and 4th books, they began to realize it wasn’t a fluke. Both not my becoming published, nor that I had chosen erotic romance as my genre. Now, they are all very supportive.

5. Is there a particular genre you haven’t touched, but would be interested in doing?

Absolutely. My muse is a spaz. She has plots coming out the ears for me, but right now I’m trying to keep my focus on erotic romance. However, I do have plots worked out for a space opera, a spy thriller, and an epic fantasy. I also intend to revisit a children’s book I wrote with my oldest daughter. It needs a bit of spit and polish, and then see if we can get it published. That would be so cool to her. She was 10 when she came up with the entire concept. I just helped her put it to pen, so to speak.

6. Tell us about your latest book Helena: Gothic City Lights, II?

Helena is book two in the Gothic City Lights saga, which is about a Night Club set in Portland, OR that is sort of a haven for the underworld. Unknown to us mortals, a war for souls is raging between Angels and Demons. Helena’s story is her struggle as an Angel of Charity against the deadly sin of pride. It’s a spin on the Beauty and the Beast as she finds herself posing as a stripper to lure a nasty Demonlord into the open, so her Angel hit team can take him out. Her mission collides with Antonio, a human demon-hunter, and though hideously scarred from his battles (he can’t heal like Angels can), his warrior spirit ignites a flame in her she’s never known. Their pride becomes a near fatal obstacle to their missions and their mutual and magnetic attraction.

7. What inspired you to write Helena: Gothic City Lights, II?

As usual, it was my muse. After Lilith’s story, she came along and planted the bug in my ear for this story. I have several more stories that will involve various characters from the Gothic City Lights world.


8. Do you have any upcoming projects that you wish to share?

I’m currently working on a piece for Ellora’s Cave Publishing’s new line, EC for men. Its an erotica line, but geared for male readers, rather than female readers. Its quite interesting how the nuances I had to learn, no longer apply. Its almost complete, so I am hoping for a possible late 2012 release… if I can sell it. =oP

9. What was one of the toughest projects you have ever faced, but was proud of the accomplishment?

Getting published seemed like an impossible hurdle. The temptation to self-publish was very strong, almost irresistible, but I am ever grateful I held out. The rejections I got, forced me to learn more about the craft, and once accepted by a publishing company, I learned more about the craft that you cannot learn anywhere else. I still have so much to learn, but that feat, was a standout moment for me.

10. What advice would you give to other writers, especially to those that are starting out?

Avoid drama. The writing circles are dens of poison. Backstabbing, rumor mongering, fact distortion, and other various pettiness. It’s a cutthroat business and you’d be amazed how low people will go to put you down, thinking it will lift them up. Fact check everything. Also, always start at the top and work your way down. Don’t settle for a publisher, just because they are the only one to say yes. If that’s true, it should be a warning sign that you as an author, have more to learn before you’re ready. Lastly, accept ALL criticism, even if it feels very wrong and stings. Every criticism came for a reason. The more credentials a person has in the industry, the more you should listen. If 15 publishers send you form rejection letters, it means 1 of 2 things. Either your book sucks, or you are sending it to the wrong publishers. It never means that they don’t understand your book. It never means they just don’t see your brilliance.

11. Lastly, where can people follow you (i.e. social networks, blogs, websites, etc.)?

The easiest place is my web at www.forlorn-hope.net … from there, you can get to my blog, my facebook, twitter, …all that.

Time for some trivial questions...

12. Cocktail Moment: If there was a drink of your kind, what would it be (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?

Oh, probably alcoholic, though I drink much less these days. I think the perfect drink would be something like a quintuple espresso mixed with a shot of vodka, and come in a can like a cola, yet taste like pineapple juice or strawberries. =oP … right now, I’d settle for a long island iced tea… on a secluded tropical beach… with a beautiful and playful lover.

13. Your Day Off: If you could take a day off from your normal activity, how would you spend it?

Ultimately, I have to be shallow. If I was allowed to determine my day off and what I got to do with it, I’d spend it making love.

14. Favorite Man Food: It’s your day off and you wake up at 10AM, describe your kind of brunch?

Eggs and bacon! Very simple and simply delicious! Come evening, my answer would likely change to seafood fettuccini alfredo.

15. Something Extra: Is there anything trivial you wish to share to your readers about yourself?

Those who know me, know I’m a notorious flirt. However, I am married. I’m playful, but not going anywhere. =oP …It’s all in fun.

Brindle, I truly thank you for the interview and I hope to see you on here again. Thank you so much!

5 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable interview, gentlemen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice to newbies, Brindle. Yes, if everyone rejects you, you'd better work harder and improve your ms. not put down the rejectors. And yes, some of the groups are poisonous. Be careful who you listen to and who you befriend.

    As for men writing romance, heck they've been doing it for centuries, long before women. Watch Lee Brazil's blog wher my article, "Who Says Men Can't Write Romance" will appear in April.

    I'm not a paranormal fan, but I think I have to have this book! It sounds fab and I love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Brin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!!! Thank you, everyone!!! And thank you, Ray for having me here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brindle, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with the public. I love your work. You are a living testimony that men CAN write romance. Keep the books coming and thanks for the inspirational comments. You always make this cowgirl smile. :) x

    ReplyDelete