Love Out Of Lust Series

Monday, January 2, 2012

AfterDark's Interview with Kellie Kamryn

As we end 2011, with a wonderful bang. One author with such sass made a huge debut in that year. From the author of Monkeys, Sex, and Other Birthday Surprises, to Going For Gold, to her current release, Pleasure Island, Kellie Kamryn joins AfterDark Online to kick off 2012 with a wonderful interview and a cocktail moment.

1. Kellie, thank you so much for the opportunity to interview you. Happy New Year’s and I hope it was fun. Before we get started why don’t you tell us about yourself?

I’m happy to be here! Thanks for hosting me. Well, the past year has had its share of ups and downs, that’s for sure! 2011 didn’t start off so great but picked up immensely, as you mentioned, with first the contracting of those three books and then the releases. Not bad for a former gymnastics coach and single mother of four. Hmm…you want to know about me. I have a really cute dog and my house is a mess, and there’s always laundry.

2. How long have you been writing and when did you decide that writing erotic stories was your niche?

I have to laugh because I never intended to write erotic at all! I figured my niche was contemporary romance. But I had these ideas that I didn’t think I could make novel length and decided to write them as short stories instead. By this time, I’d met other erotic writers, read a lot of great erotic stories and decided to try my hand at it. Turns out, I’m not too bad! Now all of my work has erotic elements in it.

3. Understandably, you’re also a poet. Approximately, how many poems have you written in your lifetime, and how often do you write them?

Wow – I don’t know. I’d say in the last ten years, I’ve written between 200-300 poems. I don’t keep count. Poetry is just something I’m inspired to write in the moment. An idea, a picture, a conversation – something will just spark that creative process for me. The most recent poem I wrote was a fun one for a friend so he could share it with his nieces and nephews. I write everything from kids poetry to love and erotic poetry. I self-published a family-oriented collection a few years ago, and it will be re-released as an ebook in the near future if we can get the cover right!

4. How does your family and friends feel about the work you do?

I actually don’t know how they feel about it. They don’t ask, and I don’t talk to them about it. Proud that I’m published, I guess, but I don’t believe any of them have bought one of my books yet. Most of my family still prefer to read paperbacks, and the ones I have released so far are ebooks. Perhaps when the novels come out in paperback, they’ll buy one or two.

My friends on the other hand are really supportive. Not just my writer friends, but the ones who don’t write as well. Not all of them read erotic stories, but they all think it’s wonderful I’m living my dream. I couldn’t ask for better friends!

5. Is there a particular genre you haven’t touched, but you would interested in getting into?

I write children’s books as well. My kids and I wrote and illustrated one together and I’d love to publish it one day. When I have time! Since my kids are way too young to read my erotic stories, I like to write things for them, too.

6. While Sweet & Sassy is your main blog, why don’t you elaborate about your other blog: Ass Cheek Angels?

LOL Ass Cheek Angels is a wonderful group of writers who I met in Orlando, FL in 2010 at the Romance Writers of America annual conference. There was wine, we talked about a celebrities butt, and then the Ass Cheek Angels was born! Okay, I’m missing a few details in there, but remember there was wine so the memory is a tad hazy… These ladies have become my best supporters and truest friends over the last year and a half. We read each other’s work, buy and promo each other’s books, and bitch/cheer to each other about the events of our lives. In the New Year, we’re adding a 12th angel to the bunch. Each week a different Angel blogs about an inspiring topic, whether it’s for writing or for life. We have a lot of fun! Our blog is www.asscheekangels.blogspot.com or you can follow us on twitter @AssCheekAngels



7. About your latest book Rebound, Book 1 in the Love and Balance Series, please tell us about your book ?

An award-winning choreographer must face the only man she’s ever loved then lost when they are teamed up to work together at a gymnastics camp for Olympic hopefuls.

Claire LeMay is at the top of her game – she’s head of a prominent gymnastics facility with  her gymnasts winning awards for her outstanding choreography. Now her biggest challenge is to coach alongside the man she’s avoided for three years after he demanded she live in his shadow instead of forging her own path.

After sinking every penny of his inheritance into his state-of-the-art gymnastics facility, Justin Black has achieved his dream. But even with hundreds of members and well-trained coaches, when Claire’s presence invades his space, he reluctantly admits she’s the one thing missing in his life. Oblivious as to why she walked out on him three years ago, he attempts to call a truce. As their old passion tumbles out faster than a gymnast sprinting down the vault runway, they realize they are in the same impossible position as they were three years ago. Are they destined to repeat the same old routine or will they be able to choreograph a new one?

8. What inspired you to write Rebound, Book 1 in the Love and Balance Series?

I’ve been involved in the sport of gymnastics since the age of six. As an elite athlete and later coach, gymnastics was always an important part of my life. I just had an idea to base a romance around two estranged coaches who were forced to work together. I’m thankful to Secret Cravings Publishing for taking a chance on it.

9. Are there any upcoming projects you are working on?

I also have two novels to be released in the New Year from Secret Cravings – Rebound and The Perfect Score, books 1 & 2 in the Love and Balance series. Oh right – and I can’t forget my love and erotic poetry collection just contracted by Romance Divine – Secrets and Desires of the Heart. It will be released as an ebook and audio book. Guess who is recording the audio? ME! *lol* So, everyone will get to hear me recite erotic poetry. I’m not sure that’s a good thing… Anyway, I’m looking at my calendar for 2012 and hoping I have enough time to fit everything in!

10.  What was the toughest project you faced so far, but was proud of the accomplishment?

Toughest project was perhaps Pleasure Island! It was the first piece I wrote earlier this year and at first The Wild Rose Press wanted a revise and resubmit. So, I did. They accepted and then the editor said – make it more erotic! I didn’t think I could because it was already pretty steamy, LOL But that story evolved into something I hadn’t even envisioned at first, so I’m darn proud of it!

11. Cocktail Moment: If there was a drink of your kind, what would it be? (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)

Wine. Or vodka with cranberry juice. However, I like shots. hehehe My favorite shot so far is one a friend of mine introduced me to but hell if I can remember the name! It comes straight out of the bottle and it’s white chocolate and dark chocolate liqueur. I love chocolate so it’s perfect! (and deadly…) However, I’ve been known to try all sorts….My head is still hurting from New Years eve!

12. Is there a trivial thing you would like your readers to know about you?

I protect and love those close to me very fiercely. I’m loyal and I try to help others as much as I can.

13. What advice would you give to other writers, especially to those starting out?

DO NOT GIVE UP. If you really want to be published then find a way to do it. Study your craft, find good critique partners, join writers groups, go to conferences – do what is good for you. There’s always a learning curve and things don’t happen over night, so be patient.

14. Lastly, where can people follow you? (i.e. social network sites, blogs, websites, etc)

@KellieKamryn on twitter


Ms. Kamryn, thank you so much for this lovely interview. I really do hope we have another opportunity to do another one in the future. Thank you so much! :-)

Thank you for having me here! What a great way to start off the New Year J All the best to you!

 
EXCERPT:
Claire greeted them, but all chatter ceased when Justin made an appearance. Shelley announced her need for fresh air and then left, followed by the others, who began whispering madly as soon as they were they were out of earshot.
A surge of lust made Claire quiver when Justin crossed his arms over his chest, making his biceps bulge. Her mind flashed back to the eyeful of his physique she'd gotten when he’d stripped off his T-shirt earlier this morning.
Still so muscular and darn near perfect. Watching him perform had been mesmerizing. The man still had it. She wanted to trace every single one of his muscles with her fingertips, and then her tongue. Definitely her tongue. And maybe add some whipped cream between the ridges.
Her body temperature rose, and she inhaled slowly to calm her pounding heart. The scent of him wafted over to her. Even after working out, he still smelled so good it made her stomach flip-flop. Her clit throbbed. She resisted the urge to squeeze her thighs together to assuage the ache.
Finally she found her voice. “Thank you for your help this morning.”
“I should be thanking you. My shoulder’s never felt better.”
“You probably aren’t doing your exercises regularly.”
“I don’t have anyone around to remind me.”
No cruel retort? She didn’t know what to make of that.
His scorching gaze made her skin flush. What was going on here? Repressed lust re-surfacing? She pressed her water bottle to her cheek in an attempt to put out the fire raging within. They'd known each other for years, but he still had this effect on her. He probably always would.
Claire took a long drink of water, trying to douse the flames. A drop dribbled down her chin to her neck, and she heard Justin's sharp inhalation. Sparks of passion seemed to crackle in the air between them. When they had been together, he could undress her with his eyes from across a crowded gym. She’d never minded that, as it had always been an unspoken promise of what was to come later, when they could be alone.
In the last couple of years, she’d chosen to ignore him for that reason alone, and attempted to forget what they had shared. Obviously didn’t work, girl...
She swiped the water off of her neck with the back of her hand. “I should get back to the studio.” A few quick strides brought her over to where he stood by the stairs. She meant to brush by him, but he caught her arm.
Surprised, she blinked up into his face. “Justin,” she warned.
He closed his eyes for a second, not relinquishing his grip. Then he brought his attention back to her face and led her to the boardroom. Offering no resistance, she followed. Sheep. He closed the door behind her with a soft click.
Her heart hammered in her chest. “I...I...I need...to...get back,” she stammered.
“We need to talk.” His tone didn't ask, it demanded.
Anger flared at the arrogance in his voice. “Well, we can’t now,” she snapped, wrenching her arm from his grip. “I’m busy.”
“Then later.”
In the past, she had never denied him anything. When she had walked out on him, it had taken every ounce of strength she had not to go running back and do whatever he wanted.
“Please.” The low tone of his voice washed over her like warm rain on a summer’s day. Was this going to be his revenge? Seduce her within an inch of her sanity, only to throw her out of his life for good?
“Fine.” She tried to sound as if she didn’t care one way or the other. Placing her hand on the doorknob, she reminded herself she was in charge of her own life. She squared off with him. “For three years, we didn't speak. Yesterday you gave me a key to your gym, and today you showed up to spy on me. What’s going on?”
“Like I said—we need to talk.” His tone had softened.
Damn. “What is there to say?”
“We’re working together for a week, and there’s a lot we haven’t said. Don't you think it’s time? Maybe we need to stop avoiding each other. Maybe we need some kind of closure.”
Three years ago, she had prayed he’d reach out to her. Better late than never? There was only one way to find out. Her voice wavered when she spoke. “I...I guess...”
He covered her hand with his. “Let me take you to dinner tonight.”
The heat from his hand spread warmth to her entire body. She couldn’t give in just because she fought old feelings for him. “Coffee,” she countered. She didn’t think she could eat an entire meal in his presence with the way her stomach bubbled nervously.
His lips twitched. “Tea. You don’t drink coffee.”
She had to smile at that. “Let me think about it.”

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me! I'll stop in throughout the day to see if anyone else dropped in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kellie -
    Great interview! So proud of everything you accomplished in 2011! Here's to an even better 2012.
    Hugs -
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely interview - it's a treat to learn more about Kellie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! Looking forward to Rebound and just adore that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. Informative and well constructed. I look forward to reading future works of yours Kellie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it Kellie,great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jenn & you know I wish you all the best for this year too!

    Sessha - thanks so much!

    Jean - I absolutely adore that cover too! When I got it, my first thought was that SCP hit the nail right on the mark again.

    Naomi - Thank you so much for stopping by!

    Mindi - Glad you enjoyed the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Angel!!!
    You are the reason I bought an e-reader. (True story...)
    Can't wait to read Rebound!

    XOXO, C

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview, thanks for sharing your story, Kellie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tammy! Glad you stopped by :)

    Cecily - good to know I'm keeping the ereader industry going one customer at a time, LOL Love you girl! Thanks for your support :)

    Davee - Well, I do like to share! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a great interview, and plus it includes my favorite picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVED Monkeys, Sex and Other Birthday Surprises- kept me laughing the whole time

    Great interview Ray and Kellie

    congrats!
    Dawne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey KJK, just read your interview. Very intelligent and a lot of fun. I'm posting under anonymous because I don't have any of those ID thangs'. You know how slow I am here on this bayou! I just love you and wish you the best of best in the New Year. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Dawne! That book was as much fun to write as it was to read afterward, LOL I hope people like Rebound and the whole series. My humor is in those ones too but these are really close to my heart.

    Michele - Thanks for stopping by. Ray sent me some great questions to answer. Wishing you the best for the new year too, hon!

    Abigail-Madison - thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kellie, it has been an honor to interview someone like you. Thank you so much, you are one of the most realistic people in the industry. I hope to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh - the excerpt! Cool :) It was an honor Ray. I appreciate your support and I refuse to be anything other than real. I'd love to be back any time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kellie, it was good getting to know more about your life and writing. I wish you every success that you deserve. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your interview Kellie! Congrats on a wonderful 2011 and on a fantastice 2012! Sounds very exciting and very busy! Looking forward to reading Monkeys, Sex and Other Surprises ... on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much Pablo! I'm so glad you made time to stop by :) I wish you much success this year too.

    Layla - I hope you enjoy the story. It was fun to write! Thanks for checking out the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome interview! Rebound sounds fantastic. Loved the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kel, my girl, you are an inspiration! Kickin interview in both questions and answers!

    Blessings for a prosperous new year!

    HUGS
    Trish aka wackycajun

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Julez!

    LOL, Thank you Trish! All the best for the new year!

    E. Jamie - Thank you so much!

    It was great to be here Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kellie, sweetie, awesome interview! I love it! I so look forward to reading your latest release. You are totally smokin', girl. Keep up all the great work. May 2012 continue to be even more prosperous than this past year. Love you, sweetie! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete